[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Automatic Page break in output window

Automatic Page break in output window

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Vanidor   USA  (21 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 26 Jan 2022 10:17 PM (UTC)
A fellow Client user is trying to figure out if there is "a way so that after every command line the client puts an auto space at the bottom of the page?"

The full message they asked is as follows:

Good day and hello to all of you. I currently use Mushclient and when a command string is entered by myself or someone else in the game the message appears at the very bottom of the screen (as intended) That being said, Is there a way so that after every command line the client puts an auto space at the bottom of the page?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 27 Jan 2022 07:10 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 27 Jan 2022 07:11 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

… or someone else in the game …

Ahhh, for something you enter you could conceivably make an alias that picks up all entered commands, and prints a blank line after it. For “someone else in the game”? I’m not sure how that would work.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Vanidor   USA  (21 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 27 Jan 2022 07:29 AM (UTC)
I believe he means anything that comes across the output screen, whether they input a command (like look, be it in the room itself, or a player/object, or if they say/do something < ; dances a jig / "Hey, what do you want to do?" / ooc wait, did you just tell a dad joke?!>), Or if someone else does/says something, be it another player, or something from the game itself... They want a blank line (%r) at the end of every command.

So far I tried the Input > paste & > send: "send at the end of each line" think %r <think basically just echos what you type, sort of like a personal note, letting you basically test something without the game processing it, and thus spamming everyone... IE think %x<#FB6673> is THIS color%xn ... showing you the color instead of everyone in the room.
Neither one did anything, and since windows stopped allowing "Help" to work and show the help file (even though I've done the workaround 2-4 times, it keeps breaking and telling me help couldn't be started/shown)... not sure how to automate the alias, so it activates every time without typing the alias, and the only functioning triggers I know how to make are highlighted words (tried setting one up to look for any character at the end of a line, and send the "think %r", then tested it by looking at the room, it didn't add a blank line.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Thu 27 Jan 2022 07:56 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 27 Jan 2022 07:57 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Yes, but, a command is something you type. They want a blank line after everything? Maybe excepting room descriptions?

This is a weird requirement, and in the 27 years I have been working on this client, no-one has wanted a blank line after things other people did.

Maybe send a tell to the MUD coders?

Ask your fellow client user what his algorithm would be to implement this. In plain English, for example if <something> arrives from the MUD add a blank line. And how do you define <something>?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 27 Jan 2022 06:05 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 27 Jan 2022 06:12 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

If (big if) the server sends each indivisible output in its own packet, then MUSHclient could display a blank line after every packet it receives. See OnPluginPacketReceived in https://www.mushclient.com/scripts/doc.php?general=plugin_callbacks

If the server doesn't work that way, however, then Nick is right and this becomes the sort of thing that needs to be done by the server coders, because you actually don't want blank space after every message. You want blank space after indivisible outputs that could potentially span many lines (e.g. room descriptions), and MUSHclient has no way to know where some complete output ends and another one begins.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kodiak   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Thu 27 Jan 2022 08:29 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 27 Jan 2022 08:45 PM (UTC) by Kodiak

Hello, I am the person that wanted the page break I will give some examples

Penny does blah blah blah
Kodiak does blah blah blah
Fred does blah blah blah

When commands come in like this it is very hard for me to separate them with my eyes so what I am wanting to set up is the following.

Kodiak does blah blah blah

Fred does blah blah blah

I just want a space between each person's imput or actions so it is easier for me to see.

So if someone made a 5 line post, I would only want a space at the end of their action( or my action) not a space between every line.

I hope this made sense.
Kodiak
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #6 on Thu 27 Jan 2022 08:47 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 27 Jan 2022 08:49 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

I think we already understand what you want. A client can't do it unless the server cooperates, because the client needs some kind of signal from the server that differentiates between five one-line messages and one five-line message.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kodiak   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Fri 28 Jan 2022 12:34 AM (UTC)
Ohhh I understand, thank you very much for trying it is really appreciated!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Fri 28 Jan 2022 05:34 AM (UTC)
If indeed people say things in a consistent way, eg.

You could make a trigger: "* does *" which would match that, and that could output a new line.

However I'm guessing that your example is only a vague example. Perhaps if you posted exactly the sort of text that you have in mind, it would be easier to help.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

11,900 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]