[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Plugin execute a script on main lua file

Plugin execute a script on main lua file

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Rdiniz   Brazil  (21 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 13 Oct 2018 07:59 PM (UTC)
I want to have a plugin executing a simple script on the main .lua file as if it was inside that file.
The function is actually being executed, but the value returned is not the same as if the function is called from the same lua file.

How can I acomplish this?

Thank you
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 13 Oct 2018 09:14 PM (UTC)
If the function is being executed, then it's working. To know why it's returning something other than what you expect, I think we need to see your script file.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 13 Oct 2018 09:27 PM (UTC)
It's a pretty simple script, ill try to make it short:

I have this on the beginning of the main .lua file:

canStab = false

Then something like this on a login:

function onLogin(class)
  if class == "ROGUE" then canStab = true end
end

I also have a simple getter for this value:

function getCanStab()
  return canStab 
end

If I try this

/Note(getCanStab())

from prompt, i get the correct true return. The problem is that when I call getCanStab() from a plugin, its returning the default value (false).
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,986 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 13 Oct 2018 11:00 PM (UTC)
You are better off using a MUSHclient variable, and not a Lua variable (ie. use SetVariable). Then in the plugin use GetPluginVariable with an empty plugin ID to find the main variable value.

Template:function=GetPluginVariable GetPluginVariable

The documentation for the GetPluginVariable script function is available online. It is also in the MUSHclient help file.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 13 Oct 2018 11:09 PM (UTC)
when you say I'm better off using global variables you mean there isnt another way? I have over 100 variables, making all of them global would be a lot ot work...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #5 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 03:14 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 14 Oct 2018 03:16 AM (UTC) by Fiendish

What is calling your onLogin function? I think the problem you're encountering is that plugins and the world don't share the same script space. Just because onLogin is being called by the world doesn't mean that canStab is being set to true for the plugin. Nick's suggestion of using GetPluginVariable with an empty ID to get the world's stored variables is one way around that.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 04:56 AM (UTC)
Oh, I thought the script had an unique space... that's what is happening then. The onLogin function is being executed from a regular trigger on my world, not from the plugin.

Thank you guys, gonna try the global variables...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,986 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 05:14 AM (UTC)
Each script (in each plugin) has a unique script space, plus one for the main script file. They might even be different languages (eg. VBscript, Lua, JScript).

However there is a module that lets you easily access MUSHclient variables from Lua:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/blob/master/lua/var.lua

It should be part of the MUSHclient download. See http://www.gammon.com.au/modules for more information (scroll down to the var.lua part).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 05:17 AM (UTC)

when you say I'm better off using global variables you mean there isnt another way? I have over 100 variables, making all of them global would be a lot ot work...

Your original question mentioned one variable. There could be other ways, why are you trying to share 100 variables between a plugin and global script space? Maybe that can be redesigned.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 05:28 AM (UTC)
There are ways for the main script file (or main triggers and aliases) to communicate with plugins. One is CallPlugin.

This lets you pass information down to plugins.

Template:function=CallPlugin CallPlugin

The documentation for the CallPlugin script function is available online. It is also in the MUSHclient help file.

Another is to "Execute" an alias, which the plugin then captures.

For example:

TellMyPlugin canStab = false

That could match an alias in your plugin (TellMyPlugin *) which might execute the rest of the line as Lua code. That could be dangerous, but it is an example of what you might do .

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 05:30 AM (UTC)
Having separate script spaces is supposed to be a feature. Putting aside the fact that the plugin might be using a different language than the main script file, it stops you accidentally using some variable (eg. "counter") in different plugins and not realizing they are interacting with each other.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sun 14 Oct 2018 03:34 PM (UTC)

Each script (in each plugin) has a unique script space, plus one for the main script file. They might even be different languages (eg. VBscript, Lua, JScript).

However there is a module that lets you easily access MUSHclient variables from Lua:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/blob/master/lua/var.lua

It should be part of the MUSHclient download. See http://www.gammon.com.au/modules for more information (scroll down to the var.lua part).

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that module. That will sure help in other situations...

Nick Gammon said:

Your original question mentioned one variable. There could be other ways, why are you trying to share 100 variables between a plugin and global script space? Maybe that can be redesigned.

I tried to make it a little simpler than it really was. The specific function I was working on uses 5 'global' variables, which isn't bad to expose as global. The 100 I mentioned are all variables I use on script file, but I'm sure I don't need all of them exposed.

Nick Gammon said:

There are ways for the main script file (or main triggers and aliases) to communicate with plugins. One is CallPlugin.

This lets you pass information down to plugins.

(function=CallPlugin)

Another is to "Execute" an alias, which the plugin then captures.

For example:

TellMyPlugin canStab = false

That could match an alias in your plugin (TellMyPlugin *) which might execute the rest of the line as Lua code. That could be dangerous, but it is an example of what you might do .

So many possibilities. I liked and tried this execute as an alias and it worked perfectly. Just a small issue, and I'm not sure it was just a feeling, I noticed a little delay on the execution of the alias, but nothing too bad.

Thanks again for all the info you two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 15 Oct 2018 05:58 AM (UTC)
CallPlugin would probably be faster (I think Fiendish uses it a lot). However the alias idea should not be noticeably slow.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Mon 15 Oct 2018 03:21 PM (UTC)
I used the alias approach to make the other way, the plugin calling a function on the main script file, using the main script space, which is what I wanted on the first place.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

25,841 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]