[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Omit From Output

Omit From Output

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by DariRyu   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 03 Jan 2017 02:50 PM (UTC)
I want to first apologize, this question is probably one of the "Seriously dude, just read the bloody helpfiles" kind. I am, however, incredibly inept when it comes to scripting, triggers, and anything of the like.

I am on a MU* that uses long, multiple-line save messages. With three of these popping out at once, it's a huge chore to scroll through these. And they're all different, so I can't just make a simple trigger. The only thing they have in common is they're preceded and followed by a particular, common typographical symbol.

I'm not sure how to wildcard this without missing EVERYTHING that has this particular common symbol. Any ideas?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 03:07 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 03 Jan 2017 03:08 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

Not enough information provided. Maybe start by giving examples.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 04:06 PM (UTC)
Examples of the messages or examples of what I'm talking about to begin with?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 04:29 PM (UTC)
If you have reason to believe that they're different, then both.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 04:45 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 03 Jan 2017 04:47 PM (UTC) by DariRyu

As you probably know, some MU*s have save messages. They tend to go either in 2 or 3 messages. A normal MU* might have the following:

GAME: Preparing to save.

GAME: Saving now.

GAME: Saved.

This is, I assume, the game making a backup of the database. However, I play on a MU* that has these stupidly long save messages. They're all usually little snippets of IC scenes or OOC jokes that staff characters have been involved in. These save messages end up taking up multiple lines.

One I can remember involves a mini-scene between the characters of an anime where one is trying to get some ice cream but they're out, she finds out why when the other character passes by with about fifty scoops on one cone, and then she chases after the character with the fifty scoops. Another involves a popular game company mascot telling a friend of his -- in ebonics, no less -- that the girl his friend is in love with is actually a chicken, his friend grows angry and denies it, and then the chicken does something and the friend swoons again.

They're designed to be silly, and they are. Sometimes they're funny. But when there's three silly messages an hour, each one between three and six lines long, popping up on my screen? It becomes a little less cute. Particularly when I'm trying to scene. They usually look like this:

# <First silly message that takes up 3-6 lines.> #

# <Second silly message that takes up 3-6 lines> #

# <Third and final silly message that takes up 3-6 lines> #

Sadly I don't actually have any of the messages themselves, because the existence of them has rather discouraged me from staying connected long enough to see them. Every single one of these messages is different. So what I'm asking is, short of just adding a trigger to leave out every single individual message as I see it, is there a way to just block all of these messages from my output buffer?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 04:58 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 03 Jan 2017 05:00 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

This is an interesting question. Could you grab a copy of what a real one looks like? Maybe get a bit of the session before and after too for context. Wrap it in [code][/code] tags to preserve formatting. ( https://mushclient.com/forum/bbforumcode.php )

From what you've described so far, maybe we can make a bit of headway until then...

Is there ever another moment when you have three messages of 3 or more lines consecutively?
Are these always wrapped by leading and trailing # symbols?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 09:43 PM (UTC)
If the messages have some unique content (particularly on the first line) then you can use the techniques described here:

Template:faq=37 Please read the MUSHclient FAQ - point 37.

For example, the message starts with "#" or is in a certain text colour.

However for this to work no other messages (eg. combat messages) must follow this format.

If you can't do that then you might just have to make a list (probably the first half-dozen words would be OK). For example:

# A gnome pops up and starts smirking
# A huge thunderstorm crashes over you
# The ice-cream van arrives

Now, you look for a line starting with one of those, and then go into "omit multiple lines" mode until you get the final part of the message.

You may just have to gradually build up the list of the way these messages start (if they happen every hour surely that won't take too long?).

You can make an alias to add to the list of messages you want to ignore. See the stuff about Lua table handling:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=4903

And serialization:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=4960

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 03 Jan 2017 11:23 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 04 Jan 2017 03:26 AM (UTC) by DariRyu

The solution provided is exactly why I asked about this. I looked at it, and can't understand anything that's written, because (as I mentioned), I'm really not good at scripting. It's a little disappointing that the only solution requires programming ability on-par with coders -- what even /is/ "Lua", anyway?

Well, failing this, I can always just whine at the staffers to cut down on the spam. I'm sure I'm not the only player who finds having to cut 10+ lines out of their log annoying.

Thanks anyway. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Wed 04 Jan 2017 03:41 AM (UTC)

If you provide some example output I'm sure we can be of some help. As it is we have no idea of what you are looking at except a vague description.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 06 Jan 2017 07:59 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 06 Jan 2017 08:12 AM (UTC) by DariRyu

Surprisingly enough, I didn't catch one all day yesterday, for whatever reason. And then today I tabbed back in to see this:
## A rumbling sound fills the streets of NeoTokyo as Lina Inverse runs past the
UR, looking fearfully back over her shoulder now and then. ##
## Lina runs into the police station and grabs the first handy officer she sees
around the knees as she drops to the floor and begs, "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF
L-SAMA, YOU'VE GOT TO LOCK ME UP SOMEPLACE SAFE!" ##
## Outside the police station, the rumble stops, replaced by a chorus of 10
voices laughing out loudly as they persue Lina, 
"OOOOOOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!". Inside the station, Lina
quakes with fear, "Oh no, they found me again!" as she sprints out the back
door to try to evade the 10 Naga clones that are chasing her.  Officer Gourry
pikus as Lina runs away after letting go of his legs. ##

(If I happen to catch any more between the time I post this and the time it gets answered, I'll add them to this post, this is just the first one I happened to see. I don't log on much, mainly because of these messages.)

This is not the only message like this. This is also one of the SHORTER ones. I think the only way these could be any more annoying is if they were in blinking text. But I've also asked staff about shortening these before, or eliminating them totally, and the answers I've gotten have been various takes on "Well, you don't sign on that often anyway" and "nobody else is complaining about it". So I'm having to figure out how to block them out of my output on my end.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Fri 06 Jan 2017 11:07 AM (UTC)
Is your client wrapping the lines so short or does the server do that?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Fri 06 Jan 2017 11:58 AM (UTC)
That's my client. I prefer to keep it at 80 characters because most of the places I go, if I set the wrap any higher, some of the formatting ends up looking wonky.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Fri 06 Jan 2017 12:00 PM (UTC)
Ok, well, for the purposes of this exercise, please disable your client's line wrap and post a new result.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Fri 06 Jan 2017 12:04 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 06 Jan 2017 01:39 PM (UTC) by DariRyu

Sorry. I figured you'd need a demonstration as to WHY it was so egregious to have on my screen.

## A rumbling sound fills the streets of NeoTokyo as Lina Inverse runs past the UR, looking fearfully back over her shoulder now and then. ##
## Lina runs into the police station and grabs the first handy officer she sees around the knees as she drops to the floor and begs, "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF L-SAMA, YOU'VE GOT TO LOCK ME UP SOMEPLACE SAFE!" ##
## Outside the police station, the rumble stops, replaced by a chorus of 10 voices laughing out loudly as they persue Lina,  "OOOOOOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!". Inside the station, Lina quakes with fear, "Oh no, they found me again!" as she sprints out the back door to try to evade the 10 Naga clones that are chasing her.  Officer Gourry pikus as Lina runs away after letting go of his legs. ##

EDIT: And another, just popped up:

## It's mid-day in the Usual restaurant; Marc is sitting, thumbing through a pile of Wrestling magazines. He glances over at Atsuko as sighs. 'She's so beautful..the way she breathes, the way she moves..the way she pecks at her dish." Sonic walks up behind Marc and taps him on the shoulder. "Dude..I hate to tell you this..but Atsuko's a Giant chicken!" ##
## Marc tightens his fist angrily, 'How dare you say such a thing! I ought to go Steve Austin on your butt!!"  "But it's True!" Replies Sonic, She a Chicken, a giant Chicken!!" ##
## Atsuko rises, her long green wig falling off as she begins to chase a tasty looking worm around the Usual! "Cluck-cluck-cluck!" Marc pikus. "That's the..the most beautiful giant Chicken I've ever seen!" ~You wear a disguise to look like Human..um..guys but you not a man, you're a chicken boo!~ ##
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Fri 06 Jan 2017 12:41 PM (UTC)
Would it be sufficient to delete from output any cluster of three lines starting and ending with ##?

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

53,786 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]